[MOBY-dev] RFC #1863 Error Handling in MOBY-S -- Vote Called

David González Pisano dgpisano at cnb.uam.es
Wed Sep 28 09:33:05 UTC 2005

Frank,

Probably the main problem with the PIB is its location, inside the
Object structure. One of the initial options we considered was to report
exceptions inside mobyData, but mixing "data" with "what happened while
computing the data" information didn't look like the best idea. Using
the PIB also brings up again the problem of what is an empty object: can
we report back a "not so empty object", ie, an object with no data but
PIB data? What about an object with no data but CrossReferences? Is not
really clear to me. Given the examples about the PIB in the
specification, I always thought it was a good place to fill with static
data associated to my results (like software version, database release,
etc..), not really about why the service didn't work.

The last proposal  we uploaded includes a possible solution to avoid
XML-mixed elements, basically permiting serviceNotes to have two
elements: mobyException and Notes. This solution allows to extend the
servicNotes element with other uses/schemas in the future.

David