[MOBY-dev] different types of results

mark wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Sun Nov 13 03:27:24 UTC 2005

I'm glad it wasn't me :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Senger <senger at ebi.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 03:25:14
To:Mark Wilkinson <markw at illuminae.com>
Cc:Moby Developers <moby-dev at biomoby.org>
Subject: Re: [MOBY-dev] different types of results

Hi to Sydney (and to others, as well, of course),

> That's bizarre...??!?

   We exchanged emails with Eddie about it yesterday. It seems that we
all, Mark including, concluded that SOAP::Lite is the "culprit". I said it
in quotes because actually SOAP::Lite tries to help. I found that some of
the IRRI services used some (probably) non-ascii characters in the
description - and that fact probably triggered SOAP::Lite to switch to
byte array. I think that it could be switched off (using something like:
   SOAP::Data->type (string => $result)
but perhaps it is a good think to have there byte array. Anyway, I have
fixed the jMoby library (CentralImpl.java) so it accepts now both
types. Still it is an interesting thing...

PS:
   I love Sydney - I wish you the best there, and be prepared when you go
home: Eddie has for you a present from us, the Richard's Moby group here
in Los Banos... (Don't worry, nothing nasty...). M.

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com
   skype: martinsenger
consulting for:
   International Rice Research Institute
   Biometrics and Bioinformatics Unit
   DAPO BOX 7777, Metro Manila
   Philippines, phone: +63-2-580-5600 (ext.2324)

Mark Wilkinson
...on the road!