[MOBY-dev] Re: [moby] Re: [MOBY-l] RDF file problem

José María Fernández González jmfernandez at cnb.uam.es
Tue May 31 19:42:38 UTC 2005

(Mainly offtopic?)

Maybe I'm wrong, but Tomcat already does it inside. Apache only forwards
the HTTP query, and Tomcat works as expected with JSPs, because it is
its default behaviour when any HTTP query arrives (unless you have
reconfigured it).

	JK modules are dedicated to communicate Apache and Tomcat, so Apache
serves static content (which does very well) and Tomcat handles dynamic
content (servlets, jsps). When you have a heavy used directory with a
mixure of static content files/pages and dynamic content and servlets,
then Apache+Tomcat+JK is unbeatable, because even if you need it you can
apply some load-balancing techniques (one Apache/many Tomcat workers) in
an easy way.

	The advantages of ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse are the simplicity and the
decoupling effect, because Apache and Tomcat can be started, stopped,
managed, upgraded, etc..., with no software dependency (no mod_jk2 to be
compiled), and each one is free from the other. Old incarnations of JK
modules (mod_webapps) had some problems when Tomcat wasn't running on
Apache startup, or when Tomcat was restarted (very common two years ago
in a Tomcat development environment). I don't know how well is JK
implementation, but our webmaster didn't want more problems than the
unavoidable ones, so they are using ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse).

	Best Regards,
		José María

José María Fernández González		e-mail: jmfernandez at cnb.uam.es
Tlfn:	(+34) 91 585 54 50		Fax:	(+34) 91 585 45 06
Grupo de Diseño de Proteinas		Protein Design Group
Centro Nacional de Biotecnología	National Center of Biotechnology
C.P.: 28049				Zip Code: 28049
C/. Darwin nº 3 (Campus Cantoblanco, U. Autónoma), Madrid (Spain)