[MOBY-dev] how to get LSID of the registered service

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Tue May 17 14:36:19 UTC 2005

Mark,
   Quite a long time ago we have discussed the inconsistency in the
returned names from the registry. Recently Mathieu asked me how to get an
LSID of a service (in order to ask for metadata etc.) so I have looked at
the names again. It seems that:

   1) One cannot get an LSID - using the registry API. The findService
method seems to return only the simple service name.

   2) The extended API (the rules for getting URLs returning RDF
documents) is not yet in place. And more, my pretty old RDF document (so
this may not be true anymore) does not show LSIDs either.

   3) Regarding the names of data types, the situation is better (because
one *can* get an LSID of a data type) - but not consistent: the method
retriveObjectNames returns simple names and the method
retrieveObjectDefinition returns LSIDs.

   I think that we should fix/solve/explain this asap. Any plans or
suggestions for it?

PS. It would also help if you explain in BioMoby API an official way how
to get these RDF documents. I know that you mentioned that there was "an
XML standard way" but I doubt that it was clear to most of us :-).
   Thanks. M.

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger