[MOBY-dev] mobycentral revived

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson at mrl.ubc.ca
Wed Mar 23 16:05:45 UTC 2005

Hi all,

sorry about that - I was in post-surgery with my cat when it went down
and I never got back on-line until this AM.

MOBY Central is a bit flaky at the moment, and we can't figure out why.
It is a rather sudden flakyness that doesn't seem to correspond to any
particular change we have made.  The Apache error logs fill up with
segfaults within a couple of hours and that crashes the system as the
amount of available memory goes to zero.  MySQL seems to be having a
similar problem (it was mysql that had crashed last night).  This all
seems to point to a physical memory error, but we can't detect one...

It may be time to get a new machine for MOBY :-)

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it throughout the day.  I have turned
apache's error logging to "critical" to reduce teh number of error
messages, so hopefully we'll have longer availability between crashes.

Sorry about this!

Mark Wilkinson
Assistant Professor (Bioinformatics)
Dept. Medical Genetics, UBC, Canada