[MOBY-dev] What versions of JAVA is everyone using?

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Mar 21 14:44:31 UTC 2005

> I was wondering if people could let me know what version of
> Java people are using. I was hoping to see if we could
> somehow push everyone towards using 1.5 in the near future.

   There will never be a single date when people can stop using the old
version and start to use the new version. Therefore, there should be
some "transitional rules" to follow. The rules must be both for
the compilation and run-time. Here is how it perhaps can work:

   a) The run-time is completely up to the code developer. If [s]he
insists (needs) to use newer Java 1.5 his/her code should be written in a
way that it throws an exception if run under older JVM.

   b) The compilation time can be solved by having Java version checks in
Ant. Ant is prepared for it, and I can make it into jMoby build.xml. So if
you have a code, that you wish to commit to jMoby and this code requires
1.5. please send it first to me and I will make the changes in build.xml.

   b1) There may be other targets in Ant (other than compilation) that
depend on Java version - such as deploying web services under Axis (as
pointed out Tom). I can also help with version checking for such targets
if you let me know (at the moment there is no such target in build.xml).

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger