[MOBY-dev] Notes from working group 'B'

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Jun 8 15:19:24 UTC 2005

I am sorry that I am late in this discussion but I was away for more than
a week. Also I am reading from the back - so I may be barking on alredy
non-existing tree...

> > Yes! That would make life much easier. I am currently testing some
> > stuff where I have an async service that has an additional help call.
> > This service is a wrapper for a commandline tool. If you call the
> > service with an empty Moby object it returns an object
> > "ServiceOptions" which HASA String that contains the info which you
> > would normally get form --help on the commandline along with some info
> > about which databases are available and when they were updated.
> > Putting this kind of info in the service signature would make more
> > sense though.

   I agree that such stuff belongs to metadata. Because if your service
returns different output data for different input values (e.g.
ServiceOptions for an empty input) - you will have trouble to make such
service into workflows. This is why Moby is good: it limits you so the
services can be more interoperable. Let's keep it like that.

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger