[MOBY-dev] request for community feedback on certain issues

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jul 19 09:18:58 UTC 2005

Hi Eddie,

> BioMoby is not a one man project, but a community driven one.

   Well, let's hope it is :-)
   Services are trully distributed, and some clients accessing Moby
Central as well. The registry itself still seems to be a one-man area
(imho).

> 1. API addition of a method called getResourcesURL:

    I understand that this is not a new requirement (we all asked for it
many times) but this is a concrete suggestion how to make it. I agree that
getting these URLs from an API call is cleaner than just document how such
URLs should look like.
   Only I would suggest slightly different XML response for that (but no
strong opinion on my side about it). What we need are actually name-value
pairs, each of them representing a name of a resource (such as 'services;
and a URL for the RDF describing such resource. So why not just use two
attributes for that? Something like this:

   <someRoot>
     <resources>
       <resource name="Services" url="http://mobycentral.icapture.ubc.ca:8090/RESOURCES/MOBY-S/Services"/>
       <resource name="Objects" url="http://mobycentral.icapture.ubc.ca:8090/RESOURCES/MOBY-S/Objects"/>
       <resource name="All" url="http://mobycentral.icapture.ubc.ca:8090/RESOURCES/MOBY-S/All"/>
     </resources>
   </someRoot>

PS. Eddie, you should perhaps consider to send everything again, but
splitted into few separate topics - that would be easier to find in our
mailing lists archives... M.

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger