[MOBY-dev] API Change/Recommendation/Best-Practice/Meme Proposal

Paul Gordon gordonp at ucalgary.ca
Fri Jul 8 18:26:25 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

    At long last after our discussions at the last MOBY meeting in
Vancouver, I have written a little document explaining the reason for
and consequences of not inheriting from "primitive" objects such as
String and Integer.  I think that this is a distruptive change for only
a few services, but is of great benefit.  Please see

http://coe02.ucalgary.ca/gordonp/moby_primitives.html

Mark has suggested that this not be a formal change to the API, but that
this new way of doing things be encouraged in all of the documentation,
and the old method explicitly deprecated but not disabled.  Hopefully
most of you agree, and we can just make temporary exceptions in our code
for the current non-compliant classes.  Or even better, if most people
agree, we can force the affected services to change over. :-)

P.S.  Yan, your object browser came in quite handy while I was writing
this, nice work!  One suggestion though, arranging the objects
alphabetically in the tree (when within the same branch and level) would
help ease navigation.

P.P.S. Our Web server will be down briefly this afternoon, so you may
get a timeout/cannot connect on the link.