[MOBY-l] Re: [MOBY-dev] Semantic Moby and Web Services <-> Semantic Web integration efforts?

Gary Schiltz gss at ncgr.org
Fri Nov 12 17:26:54 UTC 2004

Catherine Letondal wrote:

> How is the S-Moby interface defined by its "upper" ontology? I have
> carefully read the S-moby design document
> (http://www.biomoby.org/S-MOBY/doc/Design/S-MOBY_Design_Overview.html),
> what do you call an upper ontology there - the set of RDF graphs
> submitted by providers?

Phil, since you're the ontology guy, feel free to chip in. If I
understand the term "upper ontology" correctly, it refers to concepts
and relationships (i.e. an ontology) that are somewhat generic, and thus
applicable to multiple domains. As such, what is referred to in Semantic
MOBY as the "canonical graph structure" (Figure 2 in the design document
that you referenced) is the upper ontology.

// Gary Schiltz, NCGR