[spam] [MOBY-dev] RDF ?

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson at mrl.ubc.ca
Thu Nov 4 22:49:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 06:09, Apache wrote:

> Newbie in the concepts of biomoby, can someone explain me how the
> RDF is supposed to work exactly ?

Don't worry about being a newbie - this is new to everyone...

> After having registered a service, how to unregister ? Is it sufficient
> to edit the local copy of the RDF ? Or is (will) it (be) necessary to
> re-post it ? Or is the RDF layer not fully functional yet ?

the RDF layer is not fully functional *yet*, but we will be switching it
on soon.  There have been problems with different versions of the Java
libraries between the different developers, and that caused compilation
problems and such.  Apparently, that might be fixed now, so we should
soon be able to switch on the agent "for real".  Nina is just running
some last-minute tests on it now to make sure that it is
registering/deregistering services correctly.

It will be sufficient to edit the RDF to change a service.  It will also
be sufficient to delete that sub-graph of the RDF document in order to
delete your service.  You can also do the same thing via the MOBY
Central API as previously.

I'll be sending out a message once the agent is running to let everyone
know that they should keep an eye on their services just in case
something goes wrong.  I will do a complete backup of the database just
beforehand in case there is an error.

Mark Wilkinson
Assistant Professor (Bioinformatics)
Dept. Medical Genetics, UBC, Canada