[MOBY-dev] For those interested in RDF

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Sat Feb 28 00:00:22 UTC 2004

Hi all,

http://biomoby.org/cgi-bin/RESOURCES/MOBY-S/FULL

I've just finished putting together version 2 of the RDF graph of MOBY
Central.  This should make the "purists" a bit happier since the
resources in this graph actually point to other RDF graphs (rather than
being LSID's as they were in the first version), and more importantly I
am only using my own predicates when I absolutely have to.  I still
haven't found a way of representing the HAS* relationships using
traditional RDF predicates, so anyone who wants to send some suggestions
to the list in this regard is more than welcome.  All graphs are
auto-generated from the RESOURCES script, so they should be up-to-date
with the registry at all times.

Damian, what would I need to add to this in order for you to query it in
a useful way?  Does this bring us any closer to "grand unification" or
are we still worlds apart?

w.r.t. MOBY Objects - I've written a few quick n dirty scripts that
convince me that it should be possible to (easily!) auto-convert
instantiated MOBY Objects into an equivalent RDF representation... it
occurred to me while writing these that MOBY Objects ~fulfil the failed
promise of XML - that it should be self-describing data.  The MOBY-S
object structure is so tightly intertwined with the ontology that
representing objects is as easy as generating the RDF graph of the
ontology itself!  Anyway, if this is true, this might also help in
bridging the gap between MOBYShMOBY...

Anyway, just random thoughts on a Friday afternoon.  I go beer now.

Any comments on the RDF are welcome!  especially if you find errors
(logical or technical).

Have a great weekend everyone!

Mark

--
Mark Wilkinson (mwilkinson at mrl.ubc.ca)
University of British Columbia iCAPTURE Centre