[MOBY-dev] attn Ken - "new" method added to MOBY::Central

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Wed Oct 22 09:33:14 EDT 2003

Hi all, especially Ken!

As per request, the method "retrieveObjectDefinition" is now functional
in MOBY Central and MOBY Client Central.  It actually existed already,
but was not documented in the API, and didn't quite work properly
anyway.  Now it does.

I'll document the method in the Wiki docs shortly, and the online
documentation should update itself as soon as the anonymous and real
CVS's synchronize in an hour or so.  Martin, in the meantime you can CVS
update and have a look at the documentation for MOBY::Central to see the
message structure.  Basically, you pass it the object name and it
returns to you the XML that was used to register the object in the first
place.

This should help clarify object structures and articleName attributes
somewhat.  Unfortunately, it doesn't traverse down into contained (HASA
HAS) objects, so you still need to do that manually.  It would be better
if we had the retrieveObjectSchema method working so that we could
actually see the structure of the entire object... if anyone is anxious
to do some coding :-)

cheers all!

Mark Wilkinson <markw at illuminae.com>
Illuminae