[MOBY] [MOBY-dev] bug(s) in method DUMP

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Fri Oct 17 15:57:04 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 18:05, Martin Senger wrote:
> Mark,
>    I have found several weaknesses in the DUMP method:
>
> 1) [Important] The DUMP method is the only MOBY Central method that does
> not return a string

MOBY::Central::DUMP now returns an arrayref, as you suggested.  Let me
know if this helps.  (the MOBY::Client::Central::DUMP interface has not
changed)

> 2) [Less important] The dump is done by calling an external program
> mysqldump. Unfortunately, the path to the script is hard-coded.

I'll deal with that at a later date - I switched from using a config
file to using environment variables, but that has caused some squeals
from the users, so I need to switch back to a configuration file format
sometime in the near future.

>    This external program also needs to get password. I do not know how to
> open (IN, "/usr/local/bin/mysqldump -u mobycentral --password='mypassword' mobycentral |") || ...

I have no idea... try removing the quotes?

> Are you using password(s) for your MOBY Central at all?

I have a readonly (select) user that does not have a password.

> 3) [Annoying] The dump should have included lines 'use <database-name>'
> before dumping tables for that database. Otherwise it creates all tables
> into one databases.

I dont understand the objection...??  All of the tables *are* in one
database (for each database).

> 4) [Future] As I mentioned during the Vancouver meeting, the DUMP method
> is the only one that depends on the underlying implementation. It would
> return completely different results if the central will be implemented by
> LDAP or perhaps even by other RDMS. Therefore, it woulod be nicve to have
> it either renamed to DUMP_MYSQL, or allow it an input parameter specifying
> what format I expect (default may be mysql, of course).

I have made the subroutine name DUMP_MySQL.  This is currently aliased
to DUMP so that the API is the same, but we can make other procedures
later.

Mark Wilkinson <markw at illuminae.com>
Illuminae