[MOBY-dev] service registration help

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Sat Jan 25 01:55:09 UTC 2003

Hi everyone!

A few people are having problems getting MOBY Central to register
services.  I have resurrected Lukas' mobyadmin.pl script (in the
Example_Code folder on the CVS) and updated it so that it now works
correctly again, at least w.r.t. service registration and
deregistration.  I will keep working on it over the weekend, but I
wanted to get this out there right away for those of you who are having
troubles.  I have not yet tested the registration of object types,
service types, and namespaces using this script - if you find bugs there
please let me know ASAP.

THIS SCRIPT DOES NOT WORK WITH PERL 5.8!!!!!!  It is a known problem
with SOAP::Lite's autodispatch feature, which reveals a bug in the Perl
5.8's AUTOLOAD function.  The code to make it work in 5.8 is quite a bit
uglier :-)

That said, generally speaking I want to make the MOBY::Client::Central
module a wrapper for *all* MOBY::Central functions so that people don't
have to ever talk directly to MOBY::Central in their code (currently it
wraps only the query interface functions, but none of the registration
functions).  I am making sure that this module is compatible with all
versions of Perl.  However, since I am going to change the MOBY Central
API to be more XMLish anyway, I am putting this off until that is done.

If you are stuck with Perl 5.8, and need to talk to MOBY Central for
registration functions, please look at the way MOBY::Client::Central.pm
does its transactions.  It's ugly, but it works :-)

Cheers all!

Mark

                                    |--==\
Mark Wilkinson                       \==-|
Bioinformatics Consultant             \=/        0010010010100101110010
Illuminae Media                       /-\
727 6th Ave. N.                      /-==|       0010100100111101010010
Saskatoon, SK, Canada               |==-/
S7K 2S8                              \=/         0100100100010010010101
+1 (306) 373 3841                     /\
markw at illuminae.com                  /=-\        1101001010100101010101
                                    |--==\