[MOBY-dev] use case conclusion

Andrew D. Farmer adf at ncgr.org
Sat Feb 1 00:17:58 UTC 2003

Hey Mark-
you're absolutely right, and we will definitely be factoring
out requirements from those use cases. I think the idea behind
getting the technology assessment phase going in parallel was mostly to
see if any of the work in this area (web services/semantic web) that others
have done (and boy is there a lot of it!) could stimulate any ideas that
didn't get properly covered in the use case analysis. If you have
any thoughts about how you think the requirements analysis could be made
maximally useful, don't hold back! ;)

At any rate, as you rightly suggest, we certainly shouldn't be approaching the
technology assessment (at this point) from the perspective of making choices,
but I think that it can't hurt for us to get a better sense for what are the
strengths and weaknesses of various approaches to the basic problem of
interoperability/integration in a largely decentralized/uncoordinated
environment and which we feel are most important to the project.

Andrew Farmer
adf at ncgr.org
(505) 995-4464
Database Administrator/Software Developer
National Center for Genome Resources