[GSoC] Feedback of application

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 28 20:21:58 UTC 2014

Hi Lluís,

Asking for feedback is a good idea - although in case you
were unaware I will remind everyone that this is a public
mailing list where anyone can read the archives (just
like most open source project discussion lists):
http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/gsoc/2014/000375.html

In brief, your proposal was very short, and didn't give
the impression you had really looked at the different
relevant modules in Biopython. Also the timeline and
goals were very vague. Did you look at any full GSoC
proposals from previous years for comparison/reference?

One factor which was outside your control was catching
the interest of a suitable mentor - that was always going
to be tough, with only a handful of potential Biopython
mentors coming up with project ideas on our wiki page:
http://biopython.org/wiki/GSOC

If you are eligible next year (and even if you are not),
I would encourage you to try to contribute to Biopython
(or any open source project) before then. This kind of
activity is a big plus - being able to include links to your
own code/contributions shows what you are capable of
(and can also look good on a CV or job application too).

I hope that was useful.

Regards,

Peter