[GSoC] Bionode project at GSOC 2014

Christoph Neuroth christoph.neuroth at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 13:10:36 UTC 2014

>it is very simple, just start,  and maybe create a google document, you could later share that document ONLY with mentors.
Would love that but I still have to provide a week-by-week milestone
plan by saturday... I'll create a trello board with potential features
and share it:)

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Raoul Bonnal <bonnal at ingm.org> wrote:
> I would suggest to not write yet another set of parsers in javascript, as
> Eric suggested there are very good parsers as external tools
Yes there are lots of parsers, but those won't help you when you want
to do stuff in the browser, e.g. loading a file to visualize it could
be done completely without server interaction if a 100% javascript
implementation was available. Also, when building new tools,
personally I prefer not to have any dependencies on non-javascript
tools - this increases problems with portability, having to deal with
different package managers and registries, complicates the build etc.
Lastly, having robust parsers in JS would make it easy in the future
to define a JSON-based exchange format (yes, one more ;)) that can
trivially be loaded in all modern languages. Googling for "json
bioinformatics" suggests great interest in such a format but no
solution yet. It might be possible to define one with the knowledge
gained from / at the end of GSOC.

Chris