[GSoC] Bionode project at GSOC 2014

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 05:50:26 UTC 2014

Hi Chris,

To add to what you and Bruno already have, here are a couple more sub-ideas:

1. In addition to the object designs you see in BioJS and the other Bio*
projects, there are couple of database schemas bionode could be made
compatible with: BioSQL and CHADO.
http://www.biosql.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://gmod.org/wiki/Chado_-_Getting_Started

These schemas are already designed to encapsulate the types of information
that appear in a variety of different file formats, so they can be a guide
for designing your objects in bionode. Plus, compatibility.

2. For supporting genome browsers and NGS-type data sets, notice that VCF,
GFF, BED, and a few other formats have some useful similarities. These
formats are supported together by tools like tabix and bedtools and can be
queried similarly:
http://samtools.sourceforge.net/tabix.shtml
http://bedtools.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
See also: