[GSoC] Bio JavaScript/Node.js idea (bionode)

Bruno Vieira mail at bmpvieira.com
Tue Mar 4 13:03:17 UTC 2014

Dear Eric et al,

Thanks for the interesting and very valid discussion. For what its worth,
let us provide some more info/thoughts regarding some of the specific
points that have been raised:

We had already contacted the BioJS team and they are indeed interested in
working in close collaboration with us regarding the development of core
bio* functionality in javascript (both within and without gsoc). However,
they are a new GSoC host organization applying to only three slots & thus
prefer to focus these slots on extending graphical client-side
functionalities. We strongly agree that efforts should be made to avoid
redundancy.

> Re: Eric’s 1.

We clearly agree that biogems.info-type portals can be very helpful. Once
we really start seeing a lot of bioinformatic package on npm this could be
relevant as well. However, it is likely that the npm portal will soon
improve (e.g. with better tagging and scoring of
https://www.npmjs.org/search?q=bioinformatics). Thus a bio-specific npm
portal could rapidly become obsolete.

> Re: specific project details.

In the "Approach" section of our proposal we state: "Methods for
input/output and wrangling basic data types should be given a higher
priority at the beginning of this projects." This is voluntarily vague - we
hope that an ambitious student would consider what the highest priority
aspects should be and make their proposal based on this. Obviously we (and
hopefully other members of the OBF community) would additionally feed into
this.

There are different ways we can embrace the modular nature of node/npm. One
approach could be to have "bionode" as the core of common methods and then
for specific topics like microarrays, have "bionode-microarray" that has
bionode as an obligatory dependency for core functionality. This sounds
like what Eric is suggesting; it is similar to the
https://www.npmjs.org/search?q=voxel packages; or specific bio-gems
depending on bio-ruby. Our intuition is that this would indeed be the best
approach. Alternatively, bionode could act as a common framework that would
have "plugin" modules to extend its functionality (like
https://www.npmjs.org/search?q=gulp, which is a build system and works like
a unix pipeline). This is a popular pattern but has drawbacks (e.g., it
consists in building yet another plugin-system. We agree that deciding
which way to go will need to be done maturely. We definitely want to avoid
building a monolithic platform - apologies if that was unclear. At present,
the most basic functionality doesn’t exist - we thus also want to avoid
over-engineering at such an early stage.

In any case we will be happy with whatever decision you guys make - whether
or not its possible this year we will be happy to propose one or several
projects next year.

Thanks & all the best,

Yannick and Bruno