[GSoC] GSOC project: improve SegAnnDB interactive DNA copy number analysis

Toby Hocking tdhock5 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 17:08:42 UTC 2014

Thanks for the input and the links to related work, Peter and Raoul.

About BioPython, I have used it in previous projects, but its current
features do not really help for this SegAnnDB project. As I understand,
BioPython is best for things like sequence analysis and downloading data
from GenBank, but for SegAnnDB I was doing something quite different:
interactive visualization and storing user-specific annotations using a web
server/database.

About GenomeDiagram, it definitely could be used to plot DNA copy number
profiles, but it is currently neither interactive nor linked to a database,
and I really needed both of those features for SegAnnDB. GenomeDiagram
could have been used to make some of the static PNG plots on SegAnnDB, but
instead I used PIL directly since that is faster.

About R, thanks for the link to the Java implementation of fastR, but I
haven't used R at all in SegAnnDB since I wanted to just depend on 1
language on the server side (Python).

Finally about BioJS, I also wrote them, but now I realize that SegAnnDB is
a better fit for the cross-language nature of OBF. BioJS is focused on
developing web client-side JavaScript visualizations, which SegAnnDB does
for DNA copy number profiles, so perhaps I could work with the BioJS guys
on porting my existing JS code for their uses. However, my SegAnnDB project
is also tightly integrated with a server-side Python component, which I
would like a student to develop in GSOC.

So again thanks for the encouraging comments and I will go ahead and post a
more detailed project proposal on the wiki.