[GSoC] OBF Affiliated Projects

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at drycafe.net
Fri Feb 28 21:07:33 UTC 2014

Ashish,

Thanks for your feedback. To the extent that your feedback means changes to
the draft, would you mind posting those parts to the tracker for the repo?

I sympathize with what your say; one caveat is that some of the benefits
will change depending on where the OBF community goes, and of course where
collaborative open source development infrastructure goes. Also, what
doesn't seem on our radar or provisioning list already doesn't mean it
can't be there.

Bottom line is that we're not a service provider with a fixed menu, but
what we do (or don't) is driven by our community, and the volunteers who
step up to spearhead something. It's tying into that community that is
really the main primary benefit - for both sides. Larger, more diverse
communities are typically more resourceful than smaller, less diverse ones,
so it makes most sense if that's the principle motivation on both sides.

I missed the earlier part of this thread, so I hope I'm making some sense.

  -hilmar

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Ashish Agarwal <agarwal1975 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 5:07 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
> >wrote:
>
> Regarding Biocaml, the OBF doesn't yet have a formal project affiliation
> > process, but there is a draft here if you have any thoughts on this?
> >

> https://github.com/OBF/obf-docs/blob/unratified-drafts/Affiliated-Project-Policy.md
> >

> I'm unclear on the difference between Core and Affiliated projects. Core
> projects are defined as being more active, but what practical consequence
> does this distinction have?
>
> It might help to describe what being an OBF project entails in terms of:
> what you get and what you are expected to give. So far I can tell that what
> you get is: server resources and publicity. And what you are expected to
> give is: some volunteer time, but I'm unsure if it's really required.
>
> One thing I would value is collaboration on cross-language problems, e.g.
> standardization of file formats, test suites that any implementation can
> use to assure their parser/printers adhere to the standard, etc. I would be
> encouraged to seek OBF membership if it enabled such collaborations. (Maybe
> it does. I'll be attending BOSC for my first time this year, so take my
> comments with that in mind.)

Hilmar Lapp -:- lappland.io