[GSoC] [GSoC2012] BioRuby

Saket Choudhary saketkc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 08:40:51 UTC 2012

Hi !

I am Saket Choudhary, a third year undergraduate student at IIT Bombay,
India.

Ruby has been my first love for programming. My last project[internship]
was at SlideShare <http://www.slideshare.net>, one of the biggest Ruby on
Rails website in the world. I had developed the Admin interface for
SlideShare which could enable suspending users, reconversion/deletion of
SlideShows , and user deletion/suspension.

My hack at Yahoo! Open Hack India -2011 qualified among the Top 50 hacks ,
I built a Sinatra app for fetching a defined file from a Dropbox account
and sending it to a specified email address , just on a SMS.[
https://github.com/saketkc/dropbox_on_sms]

I went through the GSoC idea page and "Adding social networking
functionality to BioRuby.org", is of my special interest. I have an
experience working on the Rails platform. My plans for making the website
more "Social" is as follows:

1. Provide an online 'Scratchpad' for Ruby/BioRuby enthusiasts that not
only allows them to run their codes online but also provides them a
facility to store it online in the form of an archive so that they an acess
it later.

2. Include sharing facility on "Scratchpad" so  that one user can share his
code online with other users/community and get feedback/comments. On the
lines of "Sage <http://www.sagenb.org/>" notebooks.

3. Develop an Online Board on the lines of "Quora <https://www.quora.com>"
Boards  so that users can pin certain codes/algorithms on to their own
boards for their reference this would reduce the overhead of searching for
a particular algorithm again and again .

Let me know you views on these ideas. I would send a mockup of the same
incase these ideas seem feasible to you.

Thanks

 Saket Choudhary
IIT Bombay