[EMBOSS] broken links and other issues

Afif Elghraoui aelghraoui at sdsu.edu
Thu Dec 22 22:39:15 UTC 2016

Hello,

I was looking to submit a bug report and possibly a patch for isochore,
but when I went to check the pulse of this project, I was almost led to
conclude that it was dead. Here are the problems I and possibly others
encountered.

* The links to the mailing list archives are broken on these pages:

http://emboss.sourceforge.net/support/

http://emboss.open-bio.org/html/use/ch03s04.html

* Users are offered the possibility to open bug reports or support
requests on Sourceforge, but it seems that permission to do this is
restricted to admins only. It's fine if you want to restrict this, but
then I think the webpage should at least be corrected to not direct
users there as a way to report issues.

My experience basically was, seeing that the latest release of emboss is
from a long time ago, to see whether the project was still active. The
home page (on Sourceforge) says at the top that the most recent funding
ended on Dec. 2011, the mailing list archives are broken links, and the
most recent reported issues on Sourceforge are several years old. I then
proceeded to search for active forks of emboss, when I started getting
hits from the actual mailing list.

Do you think this can be fixed? I consider these problems very severe.

Many thanks and regards

Afif

--
Afif Elghraoui
Laboratory for Pathogenesis of Clinical Drug Resistance and Persistence