[EMBOSS] Indexing UniProtKB with dbxflat

Hamish McWilliam hpm at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jul 17 10:37:51 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

I am wondering if any one else has encountered problems with indexing
the current UniProtKB release (2014_07 - Jul 9th 2014; 214GB) with dbxflat?

We are observing that the while the previous release (2014_06 - June
11th 2014; 184GB) took about 6 hours to index, the new release is taking
approx. 2 days. Given that the data has only grown by 30GB, this
increase in processing time appears excessive. While we are looking into
possible causes of the increase in processing time, we are wondering if
anyone else is experiencing the same behaviour?

All the best,

Hamish
Mr Hamish McWilliam,
Web Production,
European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI),
European Molecular Biology Laboratory,
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus,
Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SD
United Kingdom