[EMBOSS] ./configure blaims about missing package although xorg-x11-proto-devel is installed - SOLVED

Lentes, Bernd bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Thu Feb 14 11:56:00 UTC 2013

Bernd wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i'm new to EMBOSS and trying to install it for one of our
> developers. We downloaded the current version, unpacked it
> and started ./configure. It blaims about missing
> xorg-x11-proto-devel, although it is installed:
>
> pc56846:~/EMBOSS-6.2.0 # rpm -q xorg-x11-proto-devel
> xorg-x11-proto-devel-7.4-1.24.25.42
>
> The exact error is:
> X11 graphics have been selected but no X11 header files
> have been found.
>
> This error usually happens on Linux/MacOSX distributions
> where the optional X11 development files have not been installed.
> On Linux RPM systems this package is usually called something
> like xorg-x11-proto-devel whereas on Debian/Ubuntu it may
> be called x-dev. On MacOSX installation DVDs the X11 files
> can usually be found as an explicitly named optional
> installation.
>

> I tried version 6.2.0 and 6.5.7. Host is a SLES 11 SP1, 64bit.
> I also tried "./configure --x-includes=/usr/include/X11/",
> but it didn't suceed.

Hi,

i found it out by myself. ./configure was searching for a file Xlib.h . This file is included in "xorg-x11-libX11-devel".
After installing this packages and all necessary dependencies configure didn't blame any longer.
I found the crucial hint in config.log .

Bernd

Helmholtz Zentrum München
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstädter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir´in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Günther Wess und Dr. Nikolaus Blum
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671