[EMBOSS] Handling of local file input in Jemboss

Rozenbaum, Daniel (Biocceleration Inc) daniel.rozenbaum at USPTO.GOV
Mon Sep 24 20:07:22 UTC 2012

Mahmut, please disregard my previous email - I must have made a mistake in my rebuild. After rebuilding more carefully again, the problem seems to have disappeared. My apologies for the confusion.
From: Rozenbaum, Daniel (Biocceleration Inc)
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2012 12:13 PM
To: Mahmut Uludag
Cc: emboss at lists.open-bio.org
Subject: RE: [EMBOSS] Handling of local file input in Jemboss

Hi Mahmut,

After re-building with the latest versions of gui/form/BuildJembossForm.java (1.116) and server/JembossServer.java (1.47) I'm running into a problem with adding ":sequence_name" to local files. It is reproducible in my environment using the following steps:

1. Run makeprotseq to generate say 10 sequences

2. Call up seqret and drag-and-drop the file "makeseq.fasta" generated at the previous step from the File Manager window to the "Sequence Filename" field of seqret.

3. Append ":EMBOSS_003". So the full string in the "Sequence Filename" field looks like

/path/emboss/results/username/makeprotseq_Mon_Sep_24_12_04_32_EDT_2012_51429/makeseq.fasta:EMBOSS_003

4. Execute seqret. Everything works as expected.

5. Drag-and-drop the file "makeseq.fasta" to a local folder

6. Drag-and-drop the file from the Local pane to seqret input, and add the same sequence id. So the full string in the "Sequence Filename" field in my case (a Windows client) looks something like

H:\tmp\makeseq.fasta:EMBOSS_003

7. When seqret is run, the following error message appears:

Error: Failed to open filename 'H'
Error: Unable to read sequence 'H:\tmp\makeseq.fasta:EMBOSS_003'
Died: seqret terminated: Bad value for '-sequence' with -auto defined

Would you be able to look into this?

Many thanks,
Daniel