[EMBOSS] any APIs for vectorstrip or EMBOSS

Peter Rice ricepeterm at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 19 10:06:53 UTC 2012

Dear Forrest,

> I am writing a program in which vectorstrip is used to remove vectors. I
> wanna be able to call the functions in vectorstrips from my program. Does
> vectorstrips or EMBOSS have a set of APIs that I can use?

You can call any EMBOSS application using the command line by adding any
options you need (some are required, for example the input sequence or
file, other have default values) and add "-auto" to default any other
options.

You can also add the command line option "-filter" to read the first
input from standard input, and to write the first output to standard
output, so you can then write the input directly to the EMBOSS program
and read the output directly from the program.

If you allow the program to write output to a file, we recommend that
you specify the output file name (for example "-outfile vec.out -outseq
vec.seq") so your program knows which file to open.

Hope this helps

Peter Rice
EMBOSS Team