[EMBOSS] specify primer3 directory?

Paul Tanger paul.tanger at colostate.edu
Fri Sep 14 19:08:25 UTC 2012

This works as well.  I didn't look at eprimer32 because for some reason I
thought the "32" was a 32 bit version or something..
Turns out eprimer32 is built to work with 2.x versions of primer3.
As Petar suggested, for a non default install of primer3 you need to modify
some files before everything will work.

To provide more detail in case others are interested, in thal_main.c you
need to modify lines 306-307:

     } else if ((stat("/opt/primer3_config", &st) == 0)  &&
S_ISDIR(st.st_mode)) {
       tmp_ret = get_thermodynamic_values("/opt/primer3_config/", &o);

and in primer3_boulder_main.c you need to modify lines 517-521:

    } else if ((stat("/opt/primer3_config", &st) == 0)  &&
S_ISDIR(st.st_mode)) {
      thermodynamic_params_path =
        (char*) malloc(strlen("/opt/primer3_config/") * sizeof(char) + 1);
      if (NULL == thermodynamic_params_path) exit (-2); /* Out of memory */
      strcpy(thermodynamic_params_path, "/opt/primer3_config/");

These changes apply to unix - I saw different places in those files that
would need to be changed if you were doing this in windows.

Has anyone got emboss and eprimer32 working and installed in galaxy?  Or a
similar primer design tool in galaxy?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Message: 6