[EMBOSS] Failure to build on Ubuntu 11.04

ajb at ebi.ac.uk ajb at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Sep 8 09:38:12 UTC 2011

Hi Sylvain,

> I had selected shadow, which might explain this error. I actually never
> use jemboss in a client-server setup but rather as a local standalone
> resource on the server for the users to use locally via the Xfce4 GUI.
> BTW, the script is not using axis2c yet? It only recognized axis-1_4.

The 'shadow' selection is a bug which could be worked around for now,
if necessary, by typing:
    export LDFLAGS=-lcrypt   (setenv LDFLAGS -lcrypt)
before invoking the script. It'll be fixed in the next release. However,
as mentioned, PAM is better anyway and doesn't require doing so.

I'm not sure from your message whether you're aware that you don't
need to invoke the server script if you just want a simple
standalone Jemboss for your users. Any EMBOSS installation using
"make install" will create a script in the 'bin' directory
called 'runJemboss.csh'. If users invoke that script (possibly
via a symlink of your choice) then, as long as you have java in
your PATH, it will fire-up a pre-configured standalone jemboss. The
results of any applications will be stored in a jemboss subdirectory in
a users home directory.

As far as I'm aware axis2c isn't used by Jemboss yet, though it can
be optionally configured into EMBOSS itself as a means of
accessing some servers.

ATB

Alan