[EMBOSS] Failure to build on Ubuntu 11.04

Sylvain Foisy Ph. D. sylvain.foisy at diploide.net
Tue Sep 6 17:27:20 UTC 2011

HI,

I've build EMBOSS on numerous vertsion of Ubuntu before but this one got me stumped... I am testing an EMBOSS 6.4.0 build on an Ubuntu 11.04 VM under VirtualBox, pretty much as I have done before and I end up with an oddity (may be the problem) and a make failure. First the oddity: running the install-jemboss-server.sh script,  I get this:

------------------------- WARNING ----------------------------

The script cannot find zlib installed under /usr
or /usr/local

Download zlib from
       http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/zlib/

For details see the EMBOSS admin guide:
http://emboss.sourceforge.net/admin/

To exit use Control C or press return to continue.

This is weird because I know that zlibc, zlib1g and zlib1g-dev packages are present. Ok, I press return and the configure/make dance started. After a few minutes, make crashes with this message:

../ajax/core/.libs/libajax.so: undefined reference to `crypt'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [aaindexextract] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/bio/sources/EMBOSS-6.4.0/emboss'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/bio/sources/EMBOSS-6.4.0/emboss'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Any clue on this? I couldn't find any lead looking at the mailing list archive...

Best regards

Sylvain