[EMBOSS] SCF files (Staden)

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Nov 30 10:30:38 UTC 2011

On 11/29/2011 07:09 PM, Fields, Christopher J wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2011, at 12:35 PM, Peter Cock wrote:
>>
>> Doesn't BioPerl just use the Staden libraries for this internally?
>
> Yes, and it uses an old version as well (via bioperl-ext).  Much of this effort was to go into the biolib initiative for creating cross-lang bindings using swig, but that seems to be silent at the moment.  I'm surprised Python doesn't have io_lib bindings.

BioLib is just swig wrappers around the existing Bio* interfaces and
code, so it will not help in this case if the projects are too divergent.

Could we set up a Bio* collection of data formats with examples and note
which projects can handle each one?

We do not need any one project to cover everything - we can reasonably
expect users to use some other project to interconvert formats if there
are gaps.

EMBOSS Team