[EMBOSS] Updating EMBOSS

ajb at ebi.ac.uk ajb at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jul 5 10:22:53 UTC 2011

Hello Dave,

It depends on where/how you installed the different versions.
If you had configured and installed using a prefix which specified
a directory root which was to contain only emboss:

   e.g.  ./configure --prefix=/fu/bar/emboss

then you can just delete the /fu/bar/emboss directory and reinstall.

If, however, you had installed EMBOSS using no prefix (such that it
would be installed under /usr/local) or specified any other shared
or system directory then the best means is usually to reinstall
the old version (see ftp://emboss.open-bio.org/pub/EMBOSS/old/)
on top of itself and then type:

  make uninstall

If it were me I'd then do the same with the new version and have a
nose-around to check that all traces of EMBOSS have been deleted,
then reinstall the new version.

We do recommend, when installing EMBOSS from source, to install it
into its own directory (--prefix=/usr/local/emboss  is a favourite
example in administration documentation).

HTH

Alan