[EMBOSS] Retrieve data from entrez

Hans-Rudolf Hotz hrh at fmi.ch
Wed Jan 26 08:49:42 UTC 2011

Hi Wolfgang

'NP_000518' is a protein entry. You can fetch it by adding a second
database definition (with "type: P"), ie:

DB entrezP [
          type: P
          format: genbank
          method: entrez
          fields: "id acc gi sv des org key"
          url:    "http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/gquery"
]

and then you can fetch the protein sequence:

-bash-3.2$ seqret entrezP:NP_000518 -auto stdout |head -3
 >NP_000518 NP_000518.1 low-density lipoprotein receptor isoform 1
precursor [Homo sapiens].
mgpwgwklrwtvalllaaagtavgdrcernefqcqdgkcisykwvcdgsaecqdgsdesq
etclsvtcksgdfscggrvnrcipqfwrcdgqvdcdngsdeqgcppktcsqdefrchdgk
-bash-3.2$

Regards, Hans