[EMBOSS] FW: Reducing a FASTA repository, new user

Marvin Stodolsky marvin.stodolsky at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 02:07:51 UTC 2011

All thanks for the suggestions.  A solution to the GeneBegin..GeneEnd
problem has been worked out, per the Attachment, for those interested.

But for me the more important problem is making a FASTA repository,
which is a subset of the gene files in a much larger Repository.  This
is desirable before & after using Usearch -
http://www.drive5.com/usearch/intro.html
to select out a minimally homologous gene set of a species.
Elimination of RNA genes, cryptic viruses, SINE/LINE genes are among
the undesirables.

Specifically, is the command using ENTRET or relatives , to accept a list like
637008924
637008927
640691430
640691431
637008928
637008954
637008980
for extraction and repacking into a single smaller Repository?

If not, could you recommend a software tool/suite for this type of job.

MarvS