[EMBOSS] pepstats pI values (vs protparam)

Ingo P. Korndoerfer korndoerfer at crelux.com
Thu Jun 24 10:20:31 UTC 2010

oh no ... i need some help again ...

my colleagues tell me (similar to the issue resolved last week)
peptstats and protparam calculate different pIs.

i could not find in the pepstats docu, how it calculates the pI. the
file eamino.dat does not seem to contain any pKas,
and i could not identify any other file by name that would contain pkas.

i any case, my feeling is i would have to manipulate some input to feed
pepstats the values from

*Reference points for comparisons of two-dimensional maps of proteins
from different human cell types defined in a pH scale where isoelectric
points correlate with polypeptide compositions*
Electrophoresis
Volume 15, Issue 1, Date: 1994, Pages: 529-539
Bengt Bjellqvist, Bodil Basse, Eydfinnur Olsen, Julio E. Celis

since this seems to be what protparam uses.

can anybody help ?

alternatively, of course, if i can convince my team pepstats values are
better then protparam values, that would be fine, too ...

ingo