[EMBOSS] getting organism from accession

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Jun 18 14:25:12 UTC 2010

On 18/06/2010 13:07, Tiwari, Bela wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have a set of accession numbers and I want to retrieve the organism
> that the sequence is associated with - i.e. the content of the OS line
> in an embl file.  I don't need the taxonomic id, and I don't need to
> start traversing taxonomy trees. I want to do this by accessing remote
> databases (via srs, as configured in my emboss.defaults file), rather
> than indexing databases locally.

Coming soon. EMBOSS 6.3.0 will include the capability to pick up the taxid
and to parse the NCBI taxonomy. This opens up a lot of possibilities.

You could also write a little EMBOSS utility to report the Tax string from
the sequence object.

Suggestions for ways to use this information in a future release are welcome.