[EMBOSS] getorf includes unspecified amino acids as part of the ORF sequence

Fungazid fungazid at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 11 14:26:34 UTC 2010

Hello people,

I just installed emboss on linux ubuntu (using the ubuntu synaptic package manager). I am using the getorf program, and I see it gives me this kind of output lines:

>00001_3 [803 - 1120]
LARLRFVVLGNSFIASAKGWSTPYGPTTFGPFRSCIYPRVFRSTRVRKAMATRIGSNRVN
ILIRCTXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNPYLGWWCYIFCIFR

I don't like the Xs as they represent unspecified amino acids. Is there an input parameter to tell the program to report only the regions before and after the Xs ?

In addition (and maybe this is beyond the scope of this mailing list) what is the biological meaning of such Xs ?

thanks,
Avi