[EMBOSS] retrieving entries from public database

Georgios Magklaras georgios at biotek.uio.no
Mon Aug 9 08:59:30 UTC 2010

  On 08/09/2010 12:49 AM, Hanquan Liang wrote:
> DB sw [  type: P method: srswww format: swiss release: "EBI"
>    url:"http://srs.ebi.ac.uk/srsbin/cgi-bin/wgetz";
>    dbalias: "SWISSPROT"
>    comment: "SWISSPROT from the EBI" ]

(the example I have you was an Entrez method example, as I thought you
would be more familiar with genbank than embl. But the methods are similar)

OK, most the entries using the EBI SRS server will not work, due to the
;
symbol you have after the double quotes.

Generally, the method directive should be srswww. Be careful, however,
because it is unclear to me whether the srswww can return multiple
results. The 'entrez' method can.

George Magklaras
Senior Systems Engineer/IT Manager
Biotek Center, University of Oslo