[EMBOSS] Seqret slowness.....

Richard Rothery Richard.Rothery at ualberta.ca
Wed Oct 14 17:46:21 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have been trying to update my sequence datasets using the seqret program.
Step 1 is that I blast my sequence against uniprot using the EXPASY server.
Unfortunately, because the recent explosion of duplicate data
("environmental samples"), it is now necessary to download 1-2K sequences
and then filter out the random "environmental" sample derived fragments etc.
Step 2 is assembling a list in gnumeric, exporting it as a multiline text
file of format "unpirot:accession" . Step 3 is using the command "seqret
@filename.txt". This is extraordinarily slow. It takes >12 hours to download
a fasta file containing 3K sequences. Is there a way of speeding this up? I
used to be able to download directly from EXPASY, but the site now only
allows about 200-odd sequences to be selected and downloaded at a time.

Note that filtering sequence sets is very fast with the program cd-hit. This
takes about 10 seconds on an old P4 machine to remove sequences from the set
with >90% identity to any other, for example.

I do not have the resources to install and index local databases.

Thanks!

Richard A. Rothery, Ph.D.

Research Associate

Membrane Protein Research Group,

Department of Biochemistry, University of Alberta,

Edmonton T6G 2H7

Ph. 780-492-2229 Fax. 780-492-0886