[EMBOSS] Jemboss under Ubuntu 9.10.....

charles-listes-emboss at plessy.org charles-listes-emboss at plessy.org
Thu Nov 5 06:26:04 UTC 2009

Le Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 08:06:29AM -0700, Richard Rothery a écrit :

> I downloaded jemboss (and emboss, obviously) from synaptic under Ubuntu
> 9.10. The files download and the install script seems to run normally, but
> the jemboss-packaged emboss commands do not show up under the menu system "a
> la" bio-Linux. Is there an easy way to fix this or to complete the install?

Dear Richard and EMBOSS developers,

it is very easy to have jEmboss to appear in the Applications menu of the most
recent desktop environments, in particular Gnome, KDE and Xfce. For a
system-wide effect, you need to copy the attached jemboss.desktop file in
/usr/share/applications. (The menu may not be refreshed automagically). As a
local user on Gnome desktop, you just need to copy this file on the Desktop,
right-click on the Applications menu and chose ‘Edit menus’, and then drag and
drop the jemboss.desktop file where you would like it to be seen. The next
update of the Debian/Ubuntu package will contain this file and do what is
necessary.

One thing however is that in these menus, it does not look good if there is not
a nice icon, and I do not have one for jEmboss. If the jEmboss developers could
send one to me and distribute it in their next release, that would be
appreciated. If there is no icon ready, maybe a subscriber of this list with
graphics skills could contribute one? SVG format is preferred, and should look
nice when converted to 32×32, 48×48 and 64×64 pixels.

Does anybody has the sources of the gif files in jemboss/images ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,