[EMBOSS] Tree building

Guy Bottu gbottu at vub.ac.be
Thu Jul 23 16:19:11 UTC 2009

Peter Rice wrote:
> This can be done by adding some new output formats to the existing
> phylipnew embassy applications. Phylip truncates id names for its own
> formats. We can extend them, and only truncate for strict phylip format
> outputs.

Interesting to note the following : standard PHYLIP format reserves the
first 10 characters for the name and has the sequence start at position
11. But some programmers like the one of PhyML use a format they call
PHYLIP, which however allows a name of any length but then demands that
there be a space between the name and the sequence. I already had
trouble when I used a standard PHYLIP file made by PHYLIP or EMBOSS with
a name of 10 characters as input to PhyML.

	Guy Bottu