[EMBOSS] transeq and ambiguous codons

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Jul 9 08:59:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 12:53 AM, Scott Markel<SMarkel at accelrys.com> wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Answer to question #2: run the program embossversion.
>
>> embossversion
> Writes the current EMBOSS version number to a file
> 6.0.1
>
> Scott

Thanks Scott (& Thomas) for pointing out the embossversion program.

I would still question why the EMBOSS tools don't also support the
Unix convention of a version switch. Hypothetically, aren't some
(many?) of the tools standalone and couldn't they be installed
individually (e.g. as part of someone else's software bundle)? i.e.
Can EMBOSS really guarantee that the needle tool and the
embossversion tool are in sync?