[EMBOSS] Align 12bp DNA back to genome

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio dalloliogm at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 14:57:08 UTC 2009

On 2/6/09, Lapointe, David <David.Lapointe at umassmed.edu> wrote:
> Aengus,
>
>  You might try looking here for other software. Maq, soap, rmap, etc are
>  relatively fast but still time-consuming.
>
>  http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43
>
>  David

I think 12 bp is too short to obtain good results.
How much big is the genome that you want to search? Have you
calculated the probability that your 12 bp sequences match to a random
location in the genome? Or to two distinct positions?
The human genome is not homogenously  sequenced: there are still
regions full of errors and of 'N's. What if one of your sequences
falls in such a zone?
Moreover, the genomic sequence that you are working with could not be
the same as the one from which you have extracted your seqs.

My blog on bioinformatics (now in English): http://bioinfoblog.it