[EMBOSS] knowntypes

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Mar 28 13:30:44 UTC 2008

Sebastien Moretti wrote:
> Are there 'official' knowntypes for stdout, stderr (outfile) ? And
> the equivalent of 'dna fasta' for protein infile ?

There are official knowntypes for files ... see the knowntypes.standard
file in the ACD directory.

These are the knowntypes we use in the ACD files. We welcome any
suggestions for new types or changes to the existing types.

The knowntypes are only used for validation (in acdvalid). We limit the
types to try to reuse the same names for matching input and output files
in different applications.

We will add a "protein fasta" and a "sequence fasta" to the standards file.

There is no problem with adding new knowntypes for your own
applications, but we like to know which ones are found to be useful so
we can make them official EMBOSS standard types too.