[EMBOSS] needle -nobrief

ajb at ebi.ac.uk ajb at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Mar 19 09:29:26 UTC 2008

>From a quick look at the code:

Longest identity: you're right i.e.
(Identical residues x 100)/(Length of Alignment - Total Number of Gaps
in Alignment)

Shortest identity = number of identical residues * 100 /
                    length of longest original sequence

The similarity calculations are the same as the 'identical' ones
except that the number of identical residues is replaced by the
number of pairwise comparisons that have a positive score in
the comparison matrix.

HTH

Alan