[EMBOSS] Pairwise matching

Henrikki Almusa henrikki.almusa at helsinki.fi
Tue Dec 23 13:35:33 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm doing pairwise matching with strecher on nucleotide sequences. From
the limited testing it seems that the strecher will only match sequence
I give it and not do the same match to other strand. Is this correct or
have I mistaken the result?

There is an option '-sreverse' of course but that would change all input
to other strand. I have a wrapper script around strecher which allows me
to run the program for each pair of inputs (eg. from file 1 seq 1
against file 2 seq and file 1 seq 2 against file 2 seq 2 and so on).

What would be preferable way to do local pairwise matching so that it
would check the other strand as well and return the best match found? I
suppose I could do it twice. Once for current strand and once for other
and select best of each pair, but that would require more scripting to
select the better result from the two files for each alignment.

Regards,
--
Henrikki Almusa