[EMBOSS] backtranseq

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Dec 18 23:20:21 UTC 2008

Magdy Alabady wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Can backtranseq run input file contains several 100's of protein sequences
> in Fasta format? can it make bulk back translation? please tell me how to do
> so if it is possible

Backtranseq only processes a single sequence. You have several choices:

1. make a new version of backtranseq that can process multiple sequences
(easy to do ... but you need to learn a little EMBOSS programming first :-)

2. put your sequence file in a directory and name it with anything other
than a .fasta extension.

use seqret -ossingle to convert your file into 100s of single sequence files

run backtranseq on each of the individual files.

I wonder ... do you really want 100s of backtranslations in a single file?