[EMBOSS] how string is shuffleseq

Daniel Barker db60 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Mon Aug 4 15:06:11 UTC 2008

Dear Derek,

Not a direct answer to your question - but there was an interesting
paper on shuffling recently, did you see it:

Jiang et al. (2008) uShuffle: A useful tool for shuffling biological
sequences while preserving the k-let counts. BMC Bioinformatics 9: 192.

Best wishes,

Daniel

Derek Gatherer wrote:
> Dear EMBOSS experts
>
> How good a shuffler is shuffleseq?  I have always believed that it
> shuffles beyond all recognition, since tracer words inserted into a
> database are always gone after 1 round of shuffling.  But are there any
> hard test data on its shuffling strength?  For instance, for any, say,
> 100-mer, what fragments would reasonably be expected to remain after
> shuffling?  Should I be surprised to see a 15-mer from the 100-mer still
> intact??
>
> Sorry I can't express this more precisely.  I thinks it's probably
> clear...  I ask as there is a piece of software I am testing on real
> genomes and their shuffled derivatives, and I want to exclude the
> possibility that the control is compromised by an inadequacy of shuffling.
>
> Cheers
> Derek

Daniel Barker
http://bio.st-andrews.ac.uk/staff/db60.htm
The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland :
No SC013532