[EMBOSS] How to use toggle properly ?

Guy Bottu gbottu at vub.ac.be
Wed Apr 23 16:46:08 UTC 2008

Sebastien Moretti wrote:
> I have an option (string symbcons) in my application that must be used
> only if another option is chosen (boolean cons).

	Dear Sebastien,

I have some experience with writing EMBOSS programs and I think I can help you.
   EMBOSS parses the ACD files from top to bottom, so you must write the object
"boolean: cons" first and "string: symbcons" later. To make sure that the
program at the command line will only prompt for symbcons when cons is set to y,
you must include in the objects cons an attribute
standdard: "Y"
and in the object "string: symbcons" an attribute
standard: "$cons"
Or you put additional instead of standard.
Note that in case the user chooses n for cons, symbcons will not be prompted for
and will be set to its default value. You must hence make sure that the C code
of the program does something intelligent with that.

Note that the objects of type boolean and toggle are handled the same by EMBOSS.
The distinction was introduced for the sake of GUI developers. Note also that
since there exist "expert" parameters that are neither standard or optional.
They are never prompted at the command line. To allow GUI's to hide them the
attribute "needed" was invented, but it depends on the GUI whether it is supported.

	Regards,
	Guy Bottu,
	Belgian EMnet Node